So what if “Winning a blog award” is essentially a euphemism for being tagged by the internet version of the long-extinct snail mail chain letter. So what if one of the blogs that I love to read refers to blog awards as “f***ing blog herpes”. A dubious award. Whatever. I’ll take it!
Tric of Thoughts on a Page really brightened my day when she selected Stumps and Beans as one of her ten blogs for the so-called Sunshine Award (which from this point forward, I will refer to as the Sunshine Project since no self-respecting award should ever require this much work). When I realized that she hails from Ireland and writes in verse, I was pretty excited. Visiting Ireland is high up there on my bucket list, so one day Tric I might drop by and thank you for my Sunshine Award in person. Ha! Anyway please visit her blog. It is well-written and full of charming Irish colloquialisms that are both lovely and exotic (Seriously, I really don’t get out much) to read aloud for a homebody like me. I mean – “Fairplay to her” and “She doesn’t half love herself”. I would have too entirely much fun attempting to awkwardly work those into everyday American conversation. Just in time for St. Patrick’s Day, perhaps I could get away with it for a couple of weeks? All kidding aside, thank you Tric. I’m flattered.
I am tasked with answering 10 questions and then passing the
spammy blog herp “award” along to ten others. Seeing as how when I completed the Liebster project a few weeks ago, a) I could only ever come up with ten people to award it to b) several had already completed a recent Liebster post and c) the rest have thus far opted to not participate (which I completely understand since that particular challenge took HOURS), part two of this project where I have to pass it along to ten more bloggers should be interesting for me to sort out.
1. What inspired you to start blogging? Friends and family encouraging me to blog. My utter failure at producing baby books for my two children or any sort of record of their milestones and lives. My secret (well, I guess it is not secret anymore) desire to in 20-30 years semi-retire to becoming an author.
2. How did you come up with a name for your blog? Stumps and Beans are my girls’ actual nicknames. I am more than a little ashamed that my one year old apparently thinks “Beanie” is on her birth certificate as that is how she answers when you ask her name.
4. Tell me about your dream job. Being a writer. Probably the most expected, cliche, and unimaginative answer for someone who blogs as a hobby. In the meantime though until the book deals start pouring in (ha!), I work as a generalist in human resources management and really love it.
5. Is your glass half-full or half-empty? I am somewhat pessimistic. I think it is a defense mechanism for self-preservation. Expect the worst and you will rarely be disappointed or crushed, and instead will usually be more-or-less pleased.
6. If you could go anywhere for a week’s vacation, where would you go? Ireland. Even moreso after reading Tric’s blog! :)
7. What food can you absolutely not eat? My least favorite foods are pungent cheese (Think: bleu, gorgonzola.), and chocolate chips (yes.) I am pretty adveturous about trying new cuisine but the one thing I have never been able to bring myself to taste is a crawfish – Nasty. I think that probably makes me a true failure as a southerner.
8. Dark chocolate or milk chocolate? Milk chocolate. Just please not in chip form. Something about the texture of a chocolate chip… Blech!
9. How much time do you spend blogging? Hmm. Including my lunchbreak and that hour or two of paradise between when my children go to bed and when I do, probably on average 90 minutes or so per day.
10. Do you watch TV? If so, what are your favorite shows? Every morning I watch the news. The only other shows I watch are always DVRed – SNL, How I Met Your Mother, and So You Think You Can Dance. Until they went off the air, my favorite shows were Wonder Years (waaay back in the 80s) and Scrubs (waaay back in the 2000s). That’s about it.
So this list will be a work in progress, but I challenge the following
10 8 bloggers to accept the Sunshine Award by answering the ten questions above and then passing it along to ten more bloggers of your choice (and making sure they know that you selected them):
9. Who wants to up their blog exposure?
10. …any takers?